I usually don’t publish something in December dedicated to the turn of the calendar but with the change of the decade, I was thinking about what it means to be more well-rounded. I don’t pretend to have mastered the concept, only to continually strive to improve. In no particular order, other than as occurred to me:
- Charity / Helping Others: A friend and colleague organized a group to take food and clothing to the homeless during Hanukkah. Among other things, we adopt a family at Christmas and are always amazed by the day to day necessities they request as gifts. If you are fortunate enough to be able to do so, choose a way to help others.
- Work: For me, it’s easy to let work take precedence over many of the other items on this list. Work needs an appropriate level of priority but don’t let it consume you.
- Faith: As my Dad got up there in years, I noticed some Holy Water by his computer. When I asked about it, he said “What the hell’s wrong with a little religion?” Indeed.
- Personal Finances: Spending 110% of your income on lifestyle is unsustainable but neither should one be so frugal that they don’t enjoy the fruits of their labor. Part of your budget should be dedicated to building your balance sheet in all but extraordinary years.
- Vacation / Travel: One needs time to rejuvenate and I have always found travel the perfect way to do so. Plan appropriately.
- Respecting Others / Listening: As a society we are degenerating to a point where we staunchly hold our views and seem to believe that shouting them at others will somehow sway them from equally strong held beliefs. It will not. Do your part to reverse this trend.
- Relationships: Like plants, relationships require fertilization and nurturing. Some of this can be done via text and email, but when in the presence of another, put down your device of choice and be in the moment.
- Growth: Don’t stand still. Seek new experiences or more deeply explore some of your current passions.
- Relaxation / Down Time: It’s hard to make it through the year with maximum productivity relying only on vacation time. Integrate some rest and relaxation into your schedule. It will increase your creativity and effectiveness.
- Health / Fitness: Life is a journey and can be perilous and unpredictable at times. Why cut it short? Take care of yourself and maximize both the quantity and quality of your time.
Best wishes for a healthy, happy and successful 2020.
If your business could benefit from fractional CFO services, I would welcome the chance to speak with you. Please give me a call at (314) 863-6637 or send an email to [email protected]
your cash is flowing. know where.®
Copyright @ 2019 Homza Consulting, Inc.